Job Openings-Visitor Services Associate
Visitor Services Associate
The Center for Art in Wood
Position Title: Visitor Services Associate
Organization: The Center for Art in Wood
141 N. 3rd St.
Philadelphia PA 19106
Contact: info@CenterForArtinWood.org, attention Fred Kaplan-Mayer, Managing Director
Schedule: Part Time Position, 10-15 hours per weekend, Saturdays/Sundays
Salary: Hourly rate, starting $15/hour
Start date: Immediately
The Center for Art in Wood interprets, nurtures, and champions creative engagement and expansion of art, craft, and design in wood to enhance the public’s understanding and appreciation of it. A dynamic, unique, and fast-paced organization, the Center seeks an outgoing, creative, and self-motivated Visitor Services Associate.
The Visitor Services Associate works independently and cooperatively with staff and reports directly to the Retail Manager.
Since its inception in 1986, The Center for Art in Wood, formerly the Wood Turning Center, has been widely recognized by artists, collectors, scholars and the public as one of the most valuable resources for the education, preservation and promotion of the field of art made from wood. The Center currently houses over 1,200 permanent collection objects, 25,000 artist files, and annually mounts four to five exhibitions of new work and museum collection objects. It stages the annual Windgate international residency program, and holds educational programs and events on-site and in its programs microsite.
The Center’s focus is aimed at widening the discourse and audience for art, craft, and design in wood and at creating a space for the public to learn, enjoy, and be inspired.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, outgoing, collaborative, and have experience with administration and/or retail sales. The successful candidate will also have customer service core competencies and display an attention to details and results. The Center for Art in Wood promotes a team environment and rewards creativity, critical thinking, and organizational learning toward improvement of operations and mission success. The staff serve as ambassadors for the organization’s mission and vision. Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience in the arts and cultural organizations, particularly in a gallery, museum, or retail environment, with additional preference for candidates with a passion for visual arts or art, craft, and design in wood. Job requires weekend hours.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities for the Visitor Services Associate include, but are not limited to:
Store and Public spaces, including exhibition gallery and permanent collection mezzanine:
• Receiving and welcoming all guests and offering orientation
• Engaging in sales activities and dealing with the questions of customers or members
• Entering sales into software systems, including all special initiatives, pricing, and inventory details
• Helping design, maintain, and rotate store displays and consignments
• Filling and shipping orders
• Following up with customers
• Staying on top of maintenance, storage, general tidiness
- Entering data and related work for membership and donor records
- Answering phones and receiving mail
- Depositing revenue in bank account episodically
- Engaging in member- and customer-relations and correspondence
- Assisting the administrative and development staff with specific projects
- Scanning and copying correspondence and archival/ PR material as requested
- Planning, scheduling, or preparing for meetings
- Assisting staff in all matters as requested
- Attending and providing support for events
- Supervising sanitation duties
- Coordinating logistics of event ticket sales and follow-up with customers
- Generating event related social networking before, during, and after events
- Other duties as directed and required
- Must be self-motivated, creative, detail-oriented, and collaborative, with a positive, upbeat personality
- Required computer skills: MS Office suite, database management, website, social media best practices. Preferred: Shopify, Mac suite, database systems, creative suites
- Ability to work without direct supervision in a small office environment
- Ability to climb stairs, regularly lift 25–50 pounds, and handle artwork on occasion
- May need to pass a background check for working with / around children
How to Apply
In order to be considered, please submit the following information: Cover, professional resume, and three relevant references to email@example.com.
The Center for Art in Wood is committed to fostering a diverse, lively, inclusive, and accessible environment and is an equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or belief. Employment decisions are made without consideration of these or any other factors that are prohibited by law.
There are currently no volunteer projects nor volunteer opportunities available-please check back for updates.
The Center offers volunteer projects to college students, and recent graduates. When positions are needed, volunteer project opportunities are listed below. We also offer year-round, volunteer opportunities. If you’re interested in general volunteering opportunities, please fill out the form below and feel free to describe your interests. For library and collection work projects, please send a resume and cover letter to Registrar Karen Schoenewaldt, firstname.lastname@example.org.